Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Om Reham

Om Reham is but a woman in her fifties that works as a janitor at our university. The works is hard, and she is definitely past her prime. She has back problems, is quite over weight, and her health in all does not seem fit to the job she does. And yet she does it because obviously she has no choice, and needs the salary, meager as it is.

She has this little buffet (canteen) that she set up to sell the students some snacks, napkins, chips etc. It might offer a little profit. Her real name I do not know, all I know is the “Om Reham” name (mother of reham), indicating that she has a daughter by the name of reham.

One day I was getting something from her buffet and the girl who attended to me appeared to be well educated, well dressed, polite, proud and well bred. There was another girl there more or less with the same description, helping her out. Asking who they were, they told me they were actually reham and her sister (the daughters of Om reham). They also told me they have another third sister who sometimes helps them out. They were all in universities, studying, and ambitious. During school, their mom would not let them help her, for the sake of paying attention to their studies. I was very impressed by their mother, who I am sure deprived herself of a lot for the sake of her daughters living relatively comfortably and with dignity.

She would never take charity or tips. When ever I buy something, she is very careful to give me the full change, and if I tell her it is fine, you can keep the change, she refuses. She is so sensitive and proud. Everyone depends on these extras from time to time, but she seems determined to do it alone.

Today I saw her at the university. Knowing that college term begins in a few days, I asked her if her girls are ready for the new year. She smiled and said: “I hope so, after my daughter gets well ISA”. “Your daughter?” I asked. “What is wrong?”

She tells me simply and with a sad smile that her eldest “reham” has been diagnosed with a heart condition where her arteries are constricted. She is supposed to undergo open heart surgery next Saturday where some of the arteries of her heart are to be replaced by others from her hip. Of course she seemed very worried, sad, and afraid, yet patient, hopeful and accepting. When the hospital bill was mentioned she said it would cost 9000 pounds!


Now that is a lot of money for someone like her. I am sure it is more than she can possibly afford. Seeing that, I asked her if she is short or something. I know a lot of people who would be willing to help financially in a case like this. She simply said: “no thankyou so much. All I want from anyone is for them to pray for her to get better”.

I offered again, and offered a Gam3eyya instead, in case her pride was preventing her from just taking the money, but again she said all she needs is prayer, she has some money now, and she will make do ISA.

I said to myself : subhan Allah. The pride of this woman. I remembered the verse in Quran : “(Charity is) for fuquraa’ (the poor), who in Allah’s Cause are restricted (from travel), and can not move about in the land (for trade or work). The one who knows them not, thinks that they are rich because of their modesty. You may know them by their mark, they do not beg of people at all...” (2:273)

لِلْفُقَرَاء الَّذِينَ أُحصِرُواْ فِي سَبِيلِ اللّهِ لاَ يَسْتَطِيعُونَ ضَرْبًا فِي الأَرْضِ يَحْسَبُهُمُ الْجَاهِلُ أَغْنِيَاء مِنَ التَّعَفُّفِ تَعْرِفُهُم بِسِيمَاهُمْ لاَ يَسْأَلُونَ النَّاسَ إِلْحَافًا وَمَا تُنفِقُواْ مِنْ خَيْرٍ فَإِنَّ اللّهَ بِهِ عَلِيمٌ

If she will not take money, the least I can do is to pray for Reham to be well and recover safely. For anyone who reads this, please pray for her.

6 Comments:

Blogger Dalulla said...

Doshar,

Masha'Allah.
Allahoma Ishfy marda al moslemeen wal nas ajma3een wahdina jamee3an al sirat al mostakeem. Allahoma erzouk Um Reham al sabr, washfy korata 3ainiha, Allahoma erzokha be7alelika waghiha 3an zou2al ghayrika. Allahoma erzokna jamee3an sabran wa reda bema kasamtaho lana. Ameen

(I pray recovery for those in illness amongst Moslems and all people, I pray Allah guides us to his straight path. I pray Allah heals her daughter. I pray Allah grants her refrainement from asking from other than He alone. I pray Allah to grant us all Patience and acceptance to what He has destined for us. Amen.)

I have no words to say more than those prayers. Words cannot serve this woman and those like her well. They have more than what any words can provide, they have true and unshakable faith, Masha'Allah.

I sometimes wish I can be that strong. truly i have a long way ahead of me. I pray i be blessed with her patience. I pray Allah grants Reham recovery Insha'Allah.

Doshar, I appreciate you shared that here.

3:22 AM, September 14, 2005  
Blogger Me said...

Nas2al Allaho Al3atheem Rab Al3arsh Al3atheem an yoshfeeha.. Ameen

Begad ... so touched

1:43 PM, September 14, 2005  
Blogger Dalulla said...

Ameen Me.

We all should pray for one another. Especially Women like this u do not come across every day.

3:13 PM, September 14, 2005  
Blogger idi said...

I am so touched by this story. Didn't see that doshar posted it - how is it possible to post on anotherones blog? I think only if you know the key-word or not? Never mind...

I am so touched by this story.
What a nice woman.
Yes, that's right, the poor are so modest, often so fine, so pure in heart, so serving other people although they do not posses much themselves.
And that she doesn't take any money in extra when you eat there... incomprehensible!
Very touching.
I know here also a family in Germany with 7 children (two of them are something like adopted). They are so modest. You can come to them with whatever need you have - they will help you (they came from Russia some 15 years ago but they are of German origin).
One or two years ago when I had very little money, I spoke with the mother and she gave me hints how to save money... I really was impressed: what ideas she had and how much work she takes to support her whole family and to serve her husband.
Really impressionating!
I hope that her daughter will be in good health condition again I do not know if I am allowed to pray to Jesus but if you two/the lady wants to, I will do it.
We will hope the best...
Hope everything will be ok and her daughter will be fine...
Heidi

9:36 PM, September 14, 2005  
Blogger doshar said...

me thank you for the doaa, i had forgotten that one. will use it ISA.

thanx dalulla too :)

idi: yeah there are many hidden heroes in this world.

about me posting here, dalulla invited me to be a member here (ie i can contribute posts here). alot of people actually do it. thanx for the kind words, and the woman needs all the prayer she can get

12:00 AM, September 15, 2005  
Blogger Twosret said...

May God help her and strengthen her mom to go through this.

Luke 6:20-21.

"Blessed are you who are poor, for yours in the kingdom of God. Blessed are you who hunger now, for you shall be satisfied. Blessed are you who weep now, for you shall laugh. "

5:15 PM, September 16, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home