Tuesday, August 23, 2005

The unfixed door handle.


I have been experiencing a problem with my bedroom door handle since a while ago, to be precise, almost three months. I asked my husband to fix it. Problem is I am not the nagging type in general and especially with men, let alone my own husband. The other problem is my husband is forgetful and I think that after almost five years of marriage I discovered that when I do not make a big deal out of things they loose importance, with him that is. I still cannot nag.
I despise and cannot tolerate nagging myself, therefore I do not like to do it, except if it is for something really important and there are what I may call ways of diplomatic nagging.

What I feared is for Omar to get locked inside the room or me outside while he is inside sleeping or whatever situation that would keep me from reaching my son. The door handle was like a nightmare to me. This has been ongoing for the past three months or so. I traveled for one month and back, the door handle was still in the same unfixed situation, so I mentioned it again. After I came back, I stayed in Cairo for two weeks, and then I traveled once again for two weeks or more. I still came back to find the situation unchanged. Door handle was still not functioning properly and my fear was increasing but I still did not want to nag. I asked one more time and was told, it was fixed.

I tried it, but felt there was still something wrong, but was told it was alright. I was still not convinced, but did not want to make an issue out of it and kept my concern to myself.

Today, my housekeeper was cleaning my bedroom, and she complained that she was having trouble opening the door. Just a while earlier, the door handle was working, me thinking that it will be alright since I was told so. Omar was outside playing, I walked in, without my mobile (which was minutes earlier in my pocket) and no phone set hooked in the room.

I went in, closed the door to show the housekeeper how to open it the same way I was told. Big surprise. The door handle won't open the door! Less than a minute later, Omar was standing outside the bedroom door and for some reason felt we were unable to open or maybe he thought we do not want to open, so he started crying. I had been trying to find a way to open it, but when I heard my son crying I was on my way beginning to worry for him being all alone outside. I repeated Bism Illah (In the name of God) several times and prayed it would not come to that for my son's sake. The housekeeper said, "Omar can you open the door?" I told her it was too high for him, but just before I had gone into the room, I had placed Omar's small chair next to the bedroom door. I asked a couple of times to stop crying and not to be afraid. Then I asked him to get the chair and try to open the door.

Since the handle's insides were eaten away, the turning mechanism was not working at all from inside, but better from the outside. This still made it a bit hard. Omar stopped crying. I heard my little one dragging the chair and placing it next to the door. I could hear him climbing on top, and his little arms reaching out for his hands to hold the handle. He kept trying to open it and I was in turn trying to watch the inside metal piece to pull the door back slowly so he won't fall in.

After a couple of trials, it worked thank God. Omar threw himself between my arms. I greeted him with passion and a big smile, told him he was our hero! He had this little shy yet proud smile on his face. He felt he did something good and that was what I wanted to make him feel.

I was so happy having him in my arms again. The whole situation lasted for ten minutes, but I felt it was much longer knowing my two and eight months old baby was out there alone. Especially that at this age I cannot tell him not to cry because God is always and will always be there with him and he has nothing to fear. I do that at many occasions, just to bring out the awareness of God's presence and love within him. But at this young age, it will not solace him much. But still in call cases, God always helps in His own Kind way.

Thank you God for always being there all the time, I think even if Omar ended up alone, with prayers God would have protected him. But even that, I was not put through. Al hamd lillah my door handle test went well.

So many morals I got out of today's incident.

1) Some things have to be nagged through due to the lack of attention received and importance given, but only if it is something very important
2) We cannot always avoid bothering others by nagging especially if it is something of vital importance.
3) Sometimes it is alright to be viewed as a nagger rather than be put in a situation like the one I was in today
4) Children are so so incredibly valuable
5) Children's tears and fear must be avoided as much as possible. They get so vulnerable
6) A child's mind needs to be worked up since early infantile years (I personally used to have discussions with my son and still do, and they seem to work quite nicely and his responses are Masha'Allah quite good for his age –I think-).
7) Try to avoid panicking in a situation like mine or similar, or whatever!
8) Have a grip on your fear and try to think clearly
9) Calm the child down and don't ever let them sense your fear (applies to many situations)
10) Children who are taken away from their parents must be in so much misery (Ya rab 3afina)
11) Parents who are deprived of their kids, for what ever reason must be living in anguish.
12) Death (an extreme measure here) of a child must be devastating. I ask Allah to grant them patience and acceptance and I pray not to be put in that situation. However, If God wills and that (I pray to God forbid) be my situation one day, to be tolerant and accept my fate with patience or die immediately if death will have peace and comfort and most importantly that I be ready for death in terms of deeds.
13) I pray for each and every mother on this earth to see her kids grow up in front of her and be her pride and joy
14) I pray for each and every mother that has infact lost a child to be granted the strength to accept God's will and to be rewarded in the after life insha'Allah.

I hope this door handle gets replaced some time this year!

4 Comments:

Blogger doshar said...

a small incident like this can be multiplied by ten folds when a child is involved. el hamdo lillah for salamet omar.

you were right:
it is important to keep your calm in situations like these

here is another tip from me:

learn to be a handyman/woman around your home to be able to do these things for yourself sometimes and not feel the need to nag. i like doing things like this all the time, fix a door, the fridge, change a fuse, stuff like that, is not only for men btw, except if they need more bodily strength, but skills, we can learn. it will save you alot of waga3 demagh. remind me to teach you some tips :)

12:47 PM, August 23, 2005  
Blogger Dalulla said...

Doshar,
About the the multiplication of ten folds regarding the involvement of kids in certain situations, I couldn't agree more!

I also agree with you about learining to be handy. The problem with me now is i really do not have much time to do every thing. My father always did things by himself and i was pretty much the same and learned a few things from him.. But i would never say no to learning from my dear old friend a thing or two! :-)

But still i think nagging is not always so bad.. I do not know how to, but i think i will learn at least where my situation is concerned, because time proved otherwise does not work much.

4:46 PM, August 23, 2005  
Blogger Dalulla said...

It is absolutely good to be a handy woman, and i do do somethings around too, but some things i can't and this was one of em. It needed a whole new handle and the mettle piece also..

Anyway, in concept i do totally agree that we cannot depend on others to have things done for us at all times, but i guess it is alright only when we can't and if you have a handful of loads of other stuff to do.

I personally expect some sharing and cooperation. This is what marriages are supposed to be all about i guess. :-)

7:19 PM, August 24, 2005  
Blogger Dalulla said...

Irina,
Yes the prespectives do change a lot. I've always had a "thing" for kids Irina. When i was young i always used to have this strange nightmare that i would not be blessed with a kid.. But thank God.. In Islam we are told that night mares are produced and directed by "Satan", so we should not even give them thought. It is his mean way of scaring us, weakening us and making us feel down..

Any way, Thank you for your opinion of my way of expression. It truely comes from my heart as is with everything else I write and do as well. I have been blessed with a very valuable gift from God. It gets difficult sometimes, but worth all the trouble.

I had a depression when i stopped breast feeding which many of my friends found odd. Breast feeding is the most beautiful time a mother has with her little one.. It is a beautiful bond, even if painful and tireing, to me it was the best time in my life (even when i had to wake up several times during the night). I didn't want it to stop!

10:52 PM, August 25, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home