Saturday, September 17, 2005

Word of Honor?

Am I mistaken for trusting a man with his word? I guess sometimes you should not really trust people or expect honesty in every thing they say (which is a pity). I always thought that a person's word is a word of honor and that it means something. I personally do apply that as best as I can, and in the case I feel I cannot fulfill what I say, I rather not say anything.

I am still in shock at what I'm about to write, I might be mean for writing it and making it public. But one thing I believe in is that we should not let people get away with wrong doings especially if there is a possibility it may happen again to someone else.

I mentioned my cousin's wedding earlier. I went to the tailor's and got started in my dress making, which turned out quite nice. The tailor is such a sweet heart, and really is so good at keeping her promises. It was the first time I dealt with her. She gives you a date and fulfills her duties, even though under pressure on such short notice but she said she can handle five dresses which need lots and lots of work and she has. One was already finished on September 8th 2005, which was Heba's dress for her wedding ceremony at the mosque and was a beautiful piece of work inside out.

On the 30th of August I had decided to go shoe shopping. I was out doing a couple of things and I ended up in Dokki instead of home. That alone was a long story but not relevant right now.
Omar slept with me while I was in the cab. So I decided to take him to Mom's place instead of heading home in the heat and traffic jam of that day.

I wanted to go buy some mineral water. So I put Omar to bed and left. I decided I would have a walk to vent off from the pressure of incidents earlier that required so much control not to loose my temper.
I stopped at Aldo's (a shoe shop) and decided it was an opportunity for me to take a look while Omar was sleeping. So I did.

The color of my dress needed a certain color which I hadn't seen much of in shops. It is two layers, one very light beige and the other not sure how to even spell the color but it is sumo, I think peach, so the color combination needs a certain level of beige but mixed with peach as well. Besides for me to find something that I really like is kind of difficult sometimes.

Anyway, kept walking went to Venti to check Top's shoes inside, and then passed by Mr. Joe's.

I went inside and found one that I really liked. I had a piece of the material to check the colors and it matched beautifully. At the time a man from the shop called Mohammed was attending to me. Sitting outside at the desk was Bergo Younan, Joe's brother, both shop and factory owners (so I was told later on).

Mohammed told me the shoes cost L.E199 and the bag L.E79. He added that they were offering a discount of 40% and 10 % in case I took two of their products, so the total of both shoes was calculated at L.E199 (which I think was wrong because it should have been around L.E191). I needed to buy a bag and shoes anyway. However, there was a problem with the pair at the shop, it had a stain and the straps were all dismantled for some reason. In other words it had defects. I asked if they had another, the answer was no, but we can arrange to have one made at the factory, Mohammed said. I said great. I was happy to find something to match with my dress, its style appealing to me, and that I didn't have to search anymore. Mohammed said it would take about 10 days to be made, and I was lucky because I had time to wait.

He told me he would have to first check with the factory if they had the same color of the material and to check again if they can do it. I said alright but I asked him to be kind enough to inform me right away to enable me to look again incase it would not be possible (I'm pretty sure Bergo could hear the discussion all the way through because he was in the shop and there was no other customer but me).

All went well and the second day Mohammed told me it was alright with the factory and that they would do it. I went later on that day in the evening to pay the deposit. I paid L.E100 deposit and waited for him to write down a receipt. When he did I noticed he wrote L.E285 or L.E287, so I asked what that price was, and added I thought you mentioned the total would be 199 for both after the discount. He said yes it is, but I am writing it down like this for our papers. I asked him are you sure? He answered yes, don't worry about it. I TRUSTED him and took his word as a word of honor. As I took the receipt I asked again, are you sure the total is L.E199? He said yes again and added don't worry.

The day came for me to go pick up my shoes and bag. I went but when I spoke earlier to ask for Mohammed a man called Ayman had answered and knew about my order, and said that it was ready for me to pick up.

I went the same day. Mohammed was there, Ayman was there and I hadn’t seen Bergo around (yet). I took a look at the shoes and bag and they seemed fine, I was glad and smiling. I addressed Ayman since he was sitting at the desk saying, the amount left is L.E 99 right? He said no madam; it is 185 or 187 can’t remember quite exactly. I said excuse me? Why? Mohammed told me that the total was L.E.199 for both after discount, so how come now you are telling me this amount? He went on about that it was a special request order and that they do not usually do that and so forth, and that the amount on the receipt was so and so. After the smile, my facial expression turned quite straight and serious. I firmly replied that I had inquired about the amount on the receipt twice before and that I was informed it was for paper work on their end and I did not doubt or question what I was told, simply because I never thought it would be otherwise. I said well none of this has been mentioned. It is not my problem; I should have been informed earlier. Boy was I upset, filled with so much anger but held it back.

Bergo came from inside, asked what the matter was? So I told him (I did not know his name then). He went on saying the same as Ayman!! I told him I really did not understand why none of this was mentioned earlier and moreover, its not that I did not ask about the amount written on the receipt, I did and I mentioned the answer I was given by Mohammed. He said well Mohammed is new here and it was a mistake! (A MISTAKE??? !!!! )

I asked: A mistake? Ok a mistake, fine, but who is supposed to handle this mistake? You or me? He said no not us!!!! Someone working for him does a mistake and the client has to bear the consequence! Never have I heard of such nonsense in my life!

Bergo says, would you accept an apology (in such a way that makes u feel like you wish that apology was a brick that you can throw back at him because of the way he said it)? Can you believe this?

I said no I do not accept it. Bergo's face was turning red! The frustrated angry red! (lol) when I was the one who should have kicked them all! I told him listen, the money is available that is not the problem and is not the issue, so he answered in such a rude manner, well thank God in such a sarcastic tone and manner.

I was furious but still held it back and spoke seriously. Bergo went on saying we did this for your sake and to win a customer with a slight change of tone and facial expression. My reply was, and is this your idea of winning a client? What are you doing exactly? Cornering me, because you know I am tight in time and that I have no other choice?? If you had told me from the beginning at least I would have had the choice to take it or leave it. (I would have honestly taken it anyway, but I do not like the concept of being treated like that).

I went on saying, let me tell you something, what you are doing is very very "UGLY". And your apology was not even sincere because I am not a regular client; you're just attempting to end the discussion and get your unjustified amount of money and believe me you are not winning a client at all. I turned to Ayman, politely (but so filled with anger, you cannot imagine), took out L.E200 and handed it to him and waited for the change and said thank you every one. Good bye and left.

As I walked out of the shop, I really had this urge to slam the door and wished I could have kicked their buts! I just walked away and called a friend to vent out to.

I just could not believe this could happen at a supposedly reputable shop in one of the luxurious areas of Cairo! Never had I imagined it. I would have taken the shoes anyway because it was the perfect match for my dress. What bothered me was not the money rather the principle of the word given.

Well, I learned my lesson, but I didn't like it. I enjoy trust, and I suppose I do not distrust people in general. I do not like to. I will continue to be trustful because I do not like supposing people are not trustworthy and cannot give a word of honor.

I've been through some encounters where I was shocked at people, even gave many chances but ended up discovering how low they were and not trust worthy. But also was not disappointed by many others, actually sometimes you need to encourage people to handle the responsibility of the trust given to them, but it is like a two bladed sword depending on so many factors. But in the case I mentioned, it is either you trust or loose trust, therefore either they win a regular customer or loose one and moreover giving such a bad impression about their integrity.

I will be more careful I suppose. I think I should have insisted that the amount verbally mentioned to me to have been jotted down as is, but again, I never imagined it would go that far!

In all cases I feel no loss. My dress was pretty I was told and the shoes did make a good impression (lol). At the end of the day I feel no loss. Money comes and goes, but it is a matter of principle.

Mr. Joe's shop is one place I will not set foot at again. I said 7asbya Allah wa ne3ma al wakeel. I feel that was more than enough, plus the fact that I gave them a piece of my mind, although I do not think that would have any effect on them and specifically Bergo Younan!
I still feel bad about this whole incident. Still comes to my mind and I still feel shocked. How could they do something like that?

6 Comments:

Blogger idi said...

I also have to fight against anger when reading this.

When I left school I also was so innocent in financial matters like you have written.

But thanks God, in our professional education, we had a teacher who told us how important the written word is:

He said: If you go and buy something in the supermarket and you don't take the bill, you just leave it on the counter,
then a bad man who will take your bill and go to the judges and say: well she has stolen my buyings,

then this evil man will be justified before the judges because he has the written bill in his hand,

so legally spoken: HE is the owner of the things you bought because legally he can show that HE has payed the bill and that the things belong to HIM!

Only for your infomation.

But I also think you should stay that honest and innocent and rather risk being treated badly from time to time

rather than changing your heart being hard and not trusting, sceptical, mistrusting and so on...

In my case our company grew and me, being secretary could no longer do the job on my own, I needed a second secretary.

I showed her everything and didn't leave anything which I didn't show her so exactly that she could have done exactly the same tasks as I did (in case of holiday substitution and so on)...
so once again,
that she could do the same job I did...
AND SHE DID IT!!!

After knowing all, she turned her back unto me and withdrew more and more information from me and in the end the boss thought that she alone was the good one and surely I would be the fool: he believed what she said and did - he never imagined that she withdrew information from me...

In the end, when he was trusting her alone, he kicked me off and I lost my job.
Not much time after this he recognised that she, TOO, could not do the job on her own and now they are again TWO secretaries.

I experienced that TWO times in my life on different jobs.
And on the job where I am in another way but also a little bit similar.

My parents told me to be honest
I love it
and again and again I will show the second secretary everything that I know
because mis-trust
I
Hate
Heidi

2:12 AM, September 18, 2005  
Blogger Dalulla said...

Heidi,
I agree about not changing one's good traits simply because we may get hurt. We do good for good and God's blessings, not for people. But for me and you and other people who are similar, it may be very difficult at times. We will never cease to be shocked because we are not used to doing harm to others or being selfish. Sometimes it is so hard.

I too had similar experiences on different jobs where people treated me bad just because they thought that because i am hard working i was trying to take their places. On my last job, i was an executive sec. The office manager always felt threatened by me for one reason or the other. She treated me so bad, but once i could not take it any more. She treated me with disrespect and insignificance infront of the financial manager of the group of companies. I could not take it any more. I walked into her office and gave her a piece of my mind. She was shocked to see another face other than the usual. I told her she better beware and understand that my self respect and dignity are and always be the most important asset i own in life and that not her or anyone can even come near those. I told her i could have told her all that in the Financial manager's presence but i chose to contain my anger till he left. She wanted me to close the door so that no one would hear the confrontation, but I told her NO. I will not shut the door and let the people in the office hear me because i honestly do not trust her, she may have gone and made up stories, God knows. I continued treating her with respect but in a very formal manner. Today she is on good terms with me, but i am no longer working there. And nor is she, she was transferred to another office other than the Owners' office that we used to work at.

About the shop and the issue that happened, next time i will make sure that i have every thing clear cut. I will not stop trusting, but rather cautious. I do feel bad though about what happend at Mr. Joe's. It is a pity!

3:06 AM, September 19, 2005  
Blogger Just Jane said...

Dalulla,
Maybe I am wrong, but I find that men sometimes try to overcharge or cheat female customers simply because they think women will not question them. They expect that a woman will not make a fuss and that they will be the richer for it. It happens quite often when dealing with automobile mechanics and other male-dominated fields. I've seen it. In the US, women are charged more for everything from haircuts to clothing to shoes. Sometimes the price differential is understandable; most times it is clearly unfair. Sorry for your bad experience.

5:51 AM, September 19, 2005  
Blogger Dalulla said...

It happens in many places Jane and it is annoying. There are women who do question and argue.. My mom and aunts are very good at it and usually get what they want! Lol Very presistent women.

I am not so good at it though, but when i feel i am not convinced i walk away unless if it is something i really need.

But when it comes to injustice and the cunning attitude the way i experienced at that shop, I could not hold back what i said. At the same time, i dislike being rude, but i realized with some people u have to be so or aggressive just to get what you want through, sometimes u even have to make a fuss, but i prefer not to. I prefer being amicable in my discussions even if it will not get me anywhere. Rather stick to my principles than letting go of them. But in cases one must really go out of their way to get things through, which is something we must all beware of so that it doesn't end up being a new way of life.

1:19 PM, September 19, 2005  
Blogger roora said...

if i was from you daluula, i wouldn;t of take it even if I need it because it is simply not part of the deal , and we have the right to be informed, and it wasn;t a small difference as well.

by the way i was studying consumerism , and the 4 rights that the customers should have and it was addressing something similar and they were saying the problem in egypt that consumersim doesn;t improve because the consumers are taking passive roles.

11:58 PM, September 20, 2005  
Blogger Dalulla said...

Roora,
Trust me if i had enough time, i would have done that. Plus do not forget I had paid L.E.100. The amount is not a big deal, but it would have still been a problem because of the principle again.

Plus some people cannot even earn 100 pounds why should i throw them away? I must admit, It was a stupid mistake from me not to have insisted on the change of the amount on the recipt... Naiive? yes. But i took the man's word, TWICE! In all cases i learned not to be shy any more and to be clear on paper work from now on where cash is involved.

3:38 AM, September 21, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home